What are subscriptions and when to use them?
If you need to create a recurring payment for a customer, you'll want to create a subscription for them.
Subscriptions are ideal for:
- Collecting a fixed monthly fee. For example you may offer different plans where a customer pays a fixed fee to attend a certain number of classes per week.
- An easy way to automate billing on a weekly basis. For example, social classes which are not part of your usual invoice cycles.
- Annual fees that need to be broken down into regular monthly payments. Subscriptions will help to put this on auto-pilot.
- Make sure your account is GoCardless enabled.
- The customer that the subscription is for must have a valid Direct Debit mandate in place.
Creating a subscription for your customer
You can create subscriptions directly for any student or parent in your account. Here's how you set up one up.
From the customers profile page select the 'New subscription' option under the more button.
The next step is to enter the details for the subscription; it's name, the amount and the frequency you'd like to charge the customer (weekly monthly, or yearly).
Next choose the start date when the customer's first payment will be charged.
Finally select the length the subscription will run for and click "Create subscription".
You can choose between "until further notice", or "for a specific number of payments"
Note: In this example we are naming the subscription "Gold plan", that will collect £30.00 each month for a total of 12 months.
What happens next?
Now that you have created the subscription, membermeister will start automatically collecting payments based on the details provided. For example - collecting £30.00 a month for 12 months.
The subscription will appear on the students profile page. Here you can view the subscription, amend its details, pause/resume or cancel the subscription.